21.1 C
New York
Friday, April 4, 2025
HomeHeadline newsAfghan journalists partially win case against UK govt over relocation

Afghan journalists partially win case against UK govt over relocation

Date:

Related stories

Trump’s tariffs could shrink disposable income for millions

A new analysis suggests that former President Donald Trump’s...

White House signals tariff war with India before April 2 deadline, calls it ‘time to reciprocate’

With US President Donald Trump’s self-declared "Liberation Day" deadline...

Donald Trump calls PM Modi ‘very smart’ amid India-US tariff talks

US President Donald Trump has presented a positive outlook...

Eight Afghan journalists who worked for the BBC and other British media organisations partially won a legal challenge on Monday against the British government’s refusal to relocate them from Afghanistan.

The journalists’ lawyers told London’s High Court in December that the eight, who are not in Britain, all worked “alongside and in support of the British government’s mission” in Afghanistan, meaning they are at high risk of being killed by the country’s Taliban rulers.

Lawyers for the government had argued that none of the eight were eligible for relocation under its Afghan Relocation and Assistance Policy (ARAP) programme.

Judge Peter Lane said in a written ruling that the government’s decision had been made on the wrong basis.

The government had considered whether working for the BBC amounted to working for the government, he said, rather than whether a journalist could be said to have worked alongside a government department, in partnership with or closely supporting it.

- Advertisement -

(Reuters)

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories